Wednesday, 9 August 2017

WOYWW 427 - I was being creative outside today

It is 'only' 7.30 pm here, so still plenty of Wednesday left!  I went to a sketching workshop at a local National Trust property this afternoon, and left early to treat myself to lunch there - so no time to blog earlier and nothing crafty on my table anyway (except for a delivery from Create & Craft which I am itching to open, but leaving it until tomorrow when I should have time to play with the contents - will be blogging separately about that).

My photos show some of the wonderful surroundings at Colby Woodland Gardens - and also a page from the lovely sketch book we were given as part of the workshop (it has a kraft cover, so will be decorating of course!).  We met in the Bothy first (a lovely room in the old building which also includes the fabulous tea rooms where I had my lunch, and then bought an icecream afterwards) and did some exercises to get us going with the pencils/pens.  The tutor was an illustrator and print maker, and really great with us all (all beginners and 2 youngish children).







The page I am showing was where we had 2 minutes to start drawing an object of our choice (there were lots of flowers/leaves etc on the table), and when the alarm went off we moved on to the sketchbook of the person next to us, and so on until we were back at our own book.  This was a really fun exercise and lovely to have some sketching from each of us as a memory.  Mine was the favourite of the group - I think it could be a Christmas design!



I am tired now after driving there and back (50 minutes of country roads each way), and then getting my usual jobs with ponies/cats/dog etc done.  Tea is cooking, and I am grabbing a bit of time to sit down with my laptop in front of the athletics (have you been watching the World Championships?  It seems to be raining hard in London now - been warm/blue skies all day here).

Will hopefully get round to as many blogs as possible this week, and not as late as last week!  I am doing lots of challenges and trades through Facebook groups at the moment, and also started to learn Spanish 'again' (have attempted to do some daily on a couple of occasions, but always not given it the priority it needs).  When did I ever have time to work outside the home???

Ali x

ps  If you want to go and see some actual crafty workspaces each Wednesday and perhaps join in yourself, go to Julia's Stamping Ground.

11 comments:

  1. that sounds a really exciting day (although I can't draw/sketch to save my life) The photos show what a wonderful setting it was. Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the musical chair like game from sketch book to sketch book sounds fun! Except, no one would want my sketch in their book. LOL. Lovely gardens! Thank you for sharing the lovely photos. #31

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to expand your command of creative energy, Ali! Drawing classes have been among my favorites over the years, but we never were given as fun a task as your class was, alarm bell and all. That really sounds delightfully playful!
    Happy WOYWW!
    Rose of Rose’s Art Garden #8

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ali, what beautiful gardens. Notebook is lovely, I love the design you drew. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #4 XxX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy WOYWW TFS xx Jan (34)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I hadn't been in Winchester, I'd have joined you for that sketching workshop..I'm desperate to start drawing again. The swap a sketchbook idea was great! I love Colby gardens and the cakes at the tea shop are great! A good place to meet or Narbeth - we will do it!
    Hugs LLJ 6 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of a round robin timed sketch challenge. Sounds like a really productive day. Me gusto mucho! Sarah #25

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning Gardens I must say... so relaxing.. The idea of passing art work around is fabulous... Love the notebook... Have a happy week ahead and enjoy your new crafty goodies when you open them... May #17

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sketch group sounds like a lot of fun! Beautiful photos, and lovely sketch! I love Spanish, I took it as a child in California, but here in Ontario, French is the language to learn - so now I don't know either very well. But I do love Spanish! Thanks for sharing! Lindart #30

    ReplyDelete
  10. The workshop sounds great fun, Ali, especially in such a gorgeous setting. Lovely photos! Thank you for your visit - yes, the kittens are very cute! It's fun being in kitten mode again after so long - our previous 2 were pretty elderly at just short of 14 and 17 respectively, and they didn't do much except eat and sleep! We've got our hands full with Lily and Ruby, I can tell you. They've now got the run of most of the house and that helps wear them out a bit! My hospital appointment went very well and I'm pleased that my surgeon seems to want to keep a close eye on me and is obviously as keen as I am that I don't get back in the position I was in at the beginning of this year, with a hernia causing an obstruction resulting in major emergency surgery. He's booked me in for another CT scan at the beginning of next month, and I'll be seeing him again in about 3 months. My ME is also quite a bit better again as long as I get in enough rest.

    Happy belated WOYWW,
    Shoshi #22

    ReplyDelete
  11. This week I start visiting last weeks WOYWW
    before I make my own post for this week.

    Wonderful idea to stay outdoors and create!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x