Wednesday, 15 February 2017

WOYWW 402 - more bright colours

I am loving that there is definitely more colour in my life this year.  This week I have created a background for a mixed media piece, which I believe I have to cut into strips next.  I know I keep promising a blog post about more detailed progress in Life Book 2017 so far - but this week I really plan to sit down and get it typed!  Come back and see how the strips are used.


The good old Derwent Inktense Blocks are in use again - along with some Golden acrylic paint, some cheap gesso (must get a better brand, as this one is very watery and doesn't cover much), masking tape etc.

There were 2 layers on the paper - watercolour and then acrylic - and pieces of masking tape were applied first.  I particularly enjoyed getting lots of splatters onto the paper at the end!

It is all dry this morning (photo taken yesterday evening) and I will get it finished later (unless our promised trip up to Cardigan - 1 hour drive each way - to collect our camper van, which has been having some alterations, takes all of my 'spare' energy away!).

If you would like to share a photo of your crafty workspace - come on over to Julia's Stamping Ground.

Happy WOYWW to all those that I do not manage to visit.

Ali x

15 comments:

  1. Love the bright colours and looking forward to what you do with it. BJ#1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely looking forward to seeing what you do with that colourful background. Happy WOYWW Sarah #25

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about to start that lesson too - it looks fun! I used to have that gesso as well - it's from the Works, isn't it? I agree it's not very good quality. I use the Winsor & Newton gesso now. Get a big 1L pot from Jackson's for about £20 and it lasts all year. Jackson's have their own brand as well, but I haven't tried it yet. Happy WOYWW! zsuzsa #23

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh I hope you have the energy after picking up the camper van to carry on, I do love the candy colours so bright and reminiscent of springtime ...dx #24

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ali, I too have that Gesso- glad of the info re how thin it is, I too will look for a better brand, as I find I need two coats every time, at least. Now I know no all are the same. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #5 XxX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, love those bright colours - just what we need after a drab and grey couple of days! Hope your camper van is ok after the work - how lovely to just be able to take off when you fancy :-D
    Hugs, LLJ 14 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. love all the colour, happy WOYWW, Vicky #22

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful bright happy colors! I look forward t see what you do with the strips! Thanks for sharing, Lindart #40

    ReplyDelete
  9. love those bright colours! hope you collected the camper van ok and you still have some energy left. Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very happy bright colors! I wonder if you could mix some white acrylic paint into the gesso to firm it up a bit?

    Happy WOYWW
    Kay (41)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely bright colours - enough to cheer up anyone on a dull day like it is here. Hope you get to have your camper back soon.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sharon K #38

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have those sticks- somewhere- more tidy and toss in my life! nice desk
    Robyn 36

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really into bright colours at the moment and loving this. Have a great weekend and happy belated woyww, Angela x 17

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI Ali. Love the colors you've chosen. Looking forward to the finished piece. Thanks for stopping by this week. I start out strong on my Christmas cards then fizzle. I'm hoping the Christmas Card Throwdown Challenge will help keep me on track. I hate not sending out cards. That said, I plan to play in my art journals more this year. And try watercolor painting. Creative Blessings! Kelly 346

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with everyone else about the gorgeous bright colours, Ali. Sorry I didn't visit last week - only just getting back into the swing of things and actually replying to comments! Thank you for visiting, despite not being on WOYWW this week. I am continuing to make slow progress. I shall try and do a blog update this week.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x