Wednesday, 8 February 2017

WOYWW 401 - abstract art

Happy Wednesday Morning to everyone.  I am on here a bit later this week, as I am finally getting some sleep at night now and not so desperate to get out of bed this morning.  After sorting out stuff in the house, having my breakfast, acting as slave to the animals outside and then walking over to our cottage to check that a) the heating was working b) there has been no leaks c) no aliens had moved in (which would have been exciting!), I am having a 'rest' in front of my pc and getting this post published.

For anyone who would like to join in with 'What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday', go over to Julia's Stamping Ground for the linky thing etc.

I am showing my messy craft desk this week.  It has been like this for a couple of days now - after I excitedly started last week's lesson with Life Book 2017 and then I got too busy to come back to it.



Week 5 was Abstract Art - and so far I have applied 2 layers of Derwent Inktense Blocks and one layer of Liquitex Acrylic Inks.  We had to use our 'word for the year' - and mine is Joy, so I chose some lovely bright colours that remind me of summer.  Acrylic paints come next, so this is a really interesting exercise in using mixed media layers.

Of course, I have been worrying that I am now behind again (I missed a lot of Week 1 too), and so many people are sharing wonderful images of their Week 6 pieces - but I am trying hard to push those thoughts away.  There is no rush.

After getting a cold last week it went to my eyes, and I ended up with Conjunctivitis.  This is clearing up now, but I still get sore eyes particularly at night.  I am really hoping that I am close to full recovery now.  It is our busiest time of year on the farm, with calving started - and hubby is working very long hours.  This puts more pressure on me, with additional errands and the challenge of producing plates of food at strange hours of day/night (the warming drawer was the best thing we had put in our kitchen when we renovated!).  Thankfully we have just booked a week in Spain in October (our first holiday abroad for a few years), so that gives me something to aim for.

Ali x

13 comments:

  1. Hi Ali. Trust there were indeed no aliens... Would have made it complicated when the guests turn up!!
    I'm sure it doesn't matter if you are late with your life book lessons. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, it only makes it worse - says she who is one of the worst!!!!!
    Take care, girlie. God bless.
    Margaret #2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely watercolour textures there! Lots of potential! You should never feel you're "behind" - everyone moves at their own pace through the lessons. I still get notifications from people posting pages from last year - Tam always leaves the Facebook groups open indefinitely. Nice that you have something to look forward to in October - though it still seems like a long way away! Happy Wednesday and thanks for visiting! zsuzsa #30

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised that you have time to do any crafting at all! Your Inkintense colours are enough to cheer anyone up and remind us that summer is not too far off now! Hope you are feeling much better! Happy WOYWW! Anne #10

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adoring the colours in your current piece, I've been doing a bit of journaling today too. Thanks for the visit BJ#9

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww horrible being ill and too busy to be ill as well. Your colours are lovely esopecially as it is SO drab here today. Keep looking forward to that holiday :) . soojay 44

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting conjunctivitis from this cold seems to be a thing this year. I had it in one eye, my poor cousin had it in both eyes. I found that boiling up a mug of regular tea (I used Yorkshire tea), letting it cool down then putting a cotton ball in it and wiping it around my eyes worked a treat. The tannin in the tea is anti-inflammatory so it took the swelling down and made it more bearable. I took some medicated drops to clear the infection. My eyes also got sore in the evening, so i used the tea solution then and upon waking. My cousin recommends it! I love the colours you are using in your life book. I adore using acrylics because of the way they mix up so nicely. Don't stress about being behind. Use motivation when it presents itself. I have found it cannot be forced. I hope you have a good week and thanks for sharing:) EmbroidRage #8 x

    ReplyDelete
  7. what fabulous bright colours! don't stress about keeping up! Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely vibrant colours in the challenge piece, no doubt you have have sun and warmth on your mind. It's busy enough on a farm at any time of year...I expect the chores you described before sitting down to post was half a day's work before you even thought about doing some work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous colours, love the way they're reacting together - I think the biggest secret I learned from LifeBook last year is to enjoy the process and not worry about the outcome or keeping up. Have fun :o) Annie #19

    ReplyDelete
  10. People have a romantic view about farming but it's blooming hard work for everyone! I'm sorry you've still been poorly, I get dry eyes at night, it's a pain.
    Hugs, LLJ 18 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous colours, please let us see it when finished. I understand your eye problem. I had the cold and thought I was getting better then my eye started running and it's really sore now. Just about had enough of it now! Have a great woyww and happy crafting, Angela x 20

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always good to have something to look forward to, a week in Spain sounds awesome! I like the colors you chose for your page, very summery and joyful! Thanks for sharing! Lindart #45

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pleased you have a holiday to look forward to. It must be hard work on the farm, especially at this time of the year (or is it a bit early - I am not clued up).
    I have come back from America with a cold and no doubt will not be 100% for when my sister arrives in a couple of days. Sorry to hear you ended up with conjunctivitis. Hope you soon feel 100%.
    Don't worry about being behind - I never even started Wanderlust so must get downloading asap..
    Hugs & Thanks for visiting me earlier (whilst I was in the air LOL) xxx 47
    ps did not know you used those pencils wet or dry - thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x