Wednesday, 18 January 2017

WOYWW 398 - scary eyes

Firstly, if you would like to join in with this weekly tour of crafty workspaces, go to Julia's Stamping Ground for more details and a linky thing.

Secondly, if you are wondering how to fill a few hours each week and would like to learn lots about mixed media/art, then click on the link for Life Book 2017 in my sidebar (yes, the 20% discount is still running too).  I have learnt so much and gained so much confidence already - and we are only on week three!

My messy table is showing signs of real craftiness right now.  In fact, it is exactly as I left it yesterday afternoon - after two sessions of sketching/painting my self portrait I was really tired (mentally and physically), so just downed tools (brushes and palette knife).  Naughty me - the paint will be dried now and the brushes harder to clean, but sometimes I have to think of my health more.  I went downstairs and watched the final two programmes from the Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year 2014 instead - so very inspiring and educational, as well as resting my body.



Here I am now, fairly early on Wednesday morning (I am getting more general pain throughout my body, which forces me out of bed earlier than I would like, as I get more active again after making a nearly full recovery from the horrible flu), with a messy table and a self portrait with scary green eyes (my eyes are actually blue, and my hair is not blue - but I wanted to relax more and not be so formal with it).  I really need to spend some time on those eyes!

Happy WOYWW to all those that I do not manage to visit this week.

I will be doing a separate blog post about Life Book 2017, so come back to see all of the finished pieces from Weeks One-Three.

Ali x


20 comments:

  1. good to see you early, but not due to pain! have a good week. Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali, Life Book is good isn't it?We can go back and redo the lessons as we get more confident. My mum died a month ago, so I've been feeling flat, and I lost my "MOJO" for a bit, but I thought the bird was a nice lesson, and I could make it into a canvas.I look forward to seeing yours too!
    Sometimes under painting of a green or other unusual colour can make hair look great. It works really well with watercolour.

    So sorry about your pain. Gosh life can be tough can't it? Doesn't look like you're a quitter though.Art REALLY helps doesn't it?Thanks for lovey comment on my blog post.
    Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear you are still unwell. But, good to hear you listen to your body and stop and rest as needed. Great effect with the colouring of your portrait.
    sandra de @19

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you feel better soon.
    your life picture is certainly coming along . Happy woyww Jill #24

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are fully recovered soon. I keep seeing posts about Life Book but I can't draw people/faces for toffee so am content to drool over the work of those who can. Happy WOYWW Sarah #29

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ali, I hope the pain is not making your life too miserable. Great work with the painting, we all tend to forget it takes practice to learn to do anything well. Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #5 XxX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots going on on your desk. The painting looks great - love the blue hair. Sorry you're in a lot of pain - hope you can get it managed soon.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sharon K #37

    ReplyDelete
  8. The work looks as though it is progressing well sorry to hear you are sore though

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending gentle hugs hunni. I know what it's like as I have FM & currently waiting for an op on my neck.(3 prolapsed disks) Take it easy, I know it's easier said than done! Sez x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm #42! I forgot to put it earlier! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugghh - the flu - hope you are feeling better soon! Your self-portrait is coming along nicely! The hair color looks just like the color my daughter had her hair once - it looks really nice! Then it turned green! Have fun with your portrait! Thanks for sharing, Lindart #47

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ali, not a good thing to let your paint brushes dry with paint on them. Try soaking them in some biological soap powder and it may come off easily. I used to use that when the children left brushed dirty. Hope you're feeling better soon. Thanks for the visit to mine and happy woyww, Angela x 9

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the self portrait, and the interpretation of colours. I think the eyes just need the solid colour pupil to be softened. Glad that you are managing to emerge from the horrid cold flu thing, most important that you manage your tiredness. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you've been so poorly but hope you're on the mend. I think it's good to go beyond your comfort zone, the blue hair is fab!
    Hugs, LLJ 17 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great workspace. TFS xx Jan 52

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your painting.. and you are so right.. tools can be left.. they are replaceable if needs be.. but your body isn't.

    Glad to hear that you are getting better from flu.. and taking consideration of yourself


    Have a lovely week x
    Erika (#6)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is difficult to know whether the pain or the awful fatigue is worse. I take amitriptyline at night and it helps me get to sleep and relaxes some of the painful muscles - hope you get a bit of relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mm very relaxed free and easy self portrait there Ali, I'm a week late commenting as didn't WOYWW this week.
    Thanks for sharing your inspiration,
    Shaz in Oz.x

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there. Finally made it to peek at your desk this week. What fun you are having. Enjoy.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #1

    ReplyDelete
  20. sorry to hear about the more pain issue. I am sore just from laying but hurts to much to get up and walk...I think too the emotional issues of the political climate around here is causing some problems. Love how busy and creative your desk looks Sorry I am so late getting around but...I made it!!! Have a great week and thanks for stopping by my desk earlier! Vickie #54

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x