Wednesday, 5 October 2016

WOYWW 383 - I hope the worst is over

Happy WOYWW to you all.  Go over to Julia's Stamping Ground for more details about this global tour of crafty workspaces.

I am on Day 20 of codeine withdrawal now and really feel that the worst is behind me.  I am back to my usual routine of constant/varying pain, fatigue and other symptoms - but it is great to know that I am coping without the prop of a codeine tablet.  I am resting more and taking less steps each day (aiming to keep below 10,000 which is really difficult when I have housework/gardening/animal care to do).

A new daily exercise of "Just 15 Minutes" is helping to distract me and create new healthy habits.  Read my post from yesterday which explains all and gives you the links - Just 15 Minutes.

My 15 minutes of creativity today is shown in my photo.  In my exploration of mixed media artist websites/blogs I found a lady who shares a photo of a sidewalk each month.  She encourages you to print it off and then just create with whatever you see in that picture.  I printed off the one for September, but had not got round to doing anything with it - so have cut it into two 5x5 pieces and used the first piece today.  I saw a landscape through a window, and used my new Derwent Line Painter pens to doodle over it.  Very child-like - but there is nothing wrong with having a young mind (and artistic ability!).  When I can remember which website I got this from, I will come back and post a link.  It would be something fun to do with non-crafty friends/family and children, or as a warm up in a workshop.


The image before I attacked it with pens.


The finished piece - plus the pens in their funky storage case and the usual baby wipes/scrap paper etc.  (Please excuse the paint blots - I obviously need some more practice with using these pens.)

The morning is almost over here, so I had better get this linked up and tour around a few blogs before it is lunch.  Busy afternoon ahead - helping to move our heifers to a new field on the other side of the farm (involves some roads) and then taking the farm van for its MOT (hoping to persuade hubby that we can go and get fish/chips afterwards and walk the dog along a beach).

ETA - Registration is now open for Life Book 2017 - click on the image in the side bar to join this exciting exploration of mixed media.

Ali x



17 comments:

  1. Love the look of those pens. I'm a big Derwent fan but I haven't seen those before. They look like lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them being used on one of the shopping channels and was really impressed. They are paint in a pen, so lovely coverage which you can write over etc. Ideal for mixed media.

      Delete
  2. Well done on the codeine stop. That is something I must do myself as I was taking 8 co-codamol a day although I am so trying to cut down now. Cannot see me cutting out but a little surely is better than nothing.
    Love your idea of using the sidewalk picture - interesting what you saw in it. Hope you do more of these as time goes on.
    Hugs, Neet 6 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, perhaps just take one tablet at a time (which is what I used to do - saving 2 at a time for the Level 10 pain!) and see how you get on, then miss a dose occasionally.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting challenge! I had no idea what you meant until I saw the photo. 10,000 steps is quite a lot - most of us stay below that on most days, I reckon. Just out of curiosity, I will wear my step-o-meter tomorrow! Have a fun week! zsuzsa #22

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I realised how active I was when I spent a day with family/friends up in the NE (who do not have animals outside or big houses) and only did around 4,000 steps per day!

      Delete
  4. just the other day I saw a blog where they post all kind of lids you find in the street. Hope you could enjoy your fish and chips and walk on the beach, must be so nice to live near the coast. Hope you'll have a good week, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had the fish/chips, but not a walk on the beach. Hungry now!

      Delete
  5. What a great idea with the sidewalk art! Hope you will feel much better soon and happy in the knowledge that you are coping without the medication. Gentle Hugs BJ#37

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the art work from yesterday…shows what a little help with motivation can do. I want to say congratulations with the pain management issues. I can empathize! I was on hydrocodone for my fibro and woke up one morning in such pain and the pills just didn't seem to work…double up the doctor said…still didn't work. I decided if I was going to hurt it would be without the drugs. I was very pleased with the doctor at the pain management clinic yesterday cause he explained that these shots might not do anything and might do a lot. I just kept thinking my back was all part and parcel of the fibro but…Anyway will try this and if it doesn't do good then I will have to have back surgery for the bulging disks and sliding spine!. btw they told me that 5000 steps a day was what they wanted me to be at…don't know why but. Thanks for visiting my desk earlier and leaving a great comment. Vickie #1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am struggling to keep anywhere near 10,000 steps. Normally around 12,000 even if I don't walk the dog far or do much housework. I think it helps me to keep active, as long as I pace myself. I know that I may have to change my lifestyle eventually (ie the animals will go to new homes), but clinging on for now!

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous idea, Ali. I love what you have done with the picture of this cracked paving stone! Very imaginative.

    Thank you for your lovely comment and I'm sorry to have been so long replying - it has been a busy time and I haven't been too well in between the busyness and having to rest a lot, but better late than never! We are now on the next WOYWW lol! I am also on a diet and try to keep my carb intake down, but I ration myself with cakes, so I can still enjoy them. I have found that I can't stick to diets where you remove ALL treats! The weight may come off more slowly, but it is coming off.

    Keep at the withdrawal of pain killers! You can do it! I hope by now you are feeling a lot better and that you can find alternative ways of managing the pain.

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a really strict diet - unless it is for medical reasons - is impossible! I try to eat fresh food, avoid 'stodge' and lots of veg/salad - but an occasional cake is good!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad you've got the worst behind you. Really brave of you to recognise the problem and deal with it. Sounds like you've got lots of wonderful ideas to replace the negative with positive.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sharon k#46

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you for breaking that habit!! And, for looking to start new, healthier ones. I'm going to check out your 15 minutes in just a minute too. The sidewalk challenge is very interesting. I like the direction you took with it. It gets you creating at least and makes you look at things with a new perspective. Very interesting!
    Hope #36

    ReplyDelete
  10. In a way, that art exercise is like when you do a quick doodle and then transform it into something - I did that with my kids all the time when they were little. It's a great idea and you used your Derwent pens to full advantage. I was very interested in your Just 15 Minutes as well and am going to pop over and check that out for sure.
    Well done on weaning yourself off the codeine, that must be hard but you seem very determined...good luck.
    And thanks for your comment on my blog, you made me laugh by differentiating between your Donkey Friends!! I love donkeys, have always wanted one!
    Hugs, LLJ 10 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your return visit, Ali, and for your lovely compliment! Zentangle Queen! Lol! Great stuff. I am having fun with my album. I'm so glad you like my little tangles. My cold hasn't really developed but is making me feel under the weather and a bit spaced out. Today I've been doing a bit more and started on the accounts after managing to tidy my dreadfully messy office desk! Hopefully I'll be feeling more myself in a day or two.

    Keep up the good work. It must be very hard coming off painkillers when you've been so dependent on them. I am full of admiration for you. I am very fortunate in that I do not suffer chronic pain, and I'm not sure I'd cope as well as you clearly do!

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x