Wednesday, 3 August 2016

WOYWW 374 - Yummy stitchy stash

A new month and another Wednesday, although the weather in Wales is definitely un-summery (or perhaps it is normal for August, as I seem to remember a lot of rain in the past few years).  Hubby is attempting to go to neighbouring farms to collect the straw that we buy off their fields, but this can only be done when it is not raining (to stop the straw getting even more wet when he drives along the roads and to prevent damage to the fields from heavy trailer), so it is all a bit stop-start for him right now.  Makes winter seem a lot closer when I see the straw being stacked in the sheds - and the ponies/Doris started to grow their winter coats a few days ago.

I am rambling on this Wednesday because it is time to link up with WOYWW (What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday).  Go to Julia's Stamping Ground to join in.

My crafty workdesk was awaiting a delivery from an Etsy seller in the UK, which arrived yesterday - so now I can continue with stitching up the journals I made for July.  I only had a medium-weight light coloured thread with my Book Making Starter Kit from the Vintage Paper Co , and really needed a heavy-weight version to cope with the thick watercolour paper I am using for pages, plus I wanted some pretty colours to play with.  I went on Etsy and found buchertigersupplies (lots of lovely bookbinding stash).

Here is the package -

bookbinding thread, book making, Etsy, beeswax

- and here is my craft table -


My very first stitched journal is on top (it has been sitting under a heavy box for a several hours - but still not sitting flat due to the very thick paper I used for the pages), and the two others for this particular project are underneath awaiting pages and stitching.  I made a 4th (on the glass cutting board), which is for another project - and the strips I trimmed off will be used to make a belly band to keep the 3 journals together.  You can see some canvases that I bought from The Works on top of my current practice journal - and scrap paper/kitchen roll.  You can also spy my stripy rug.  

I would be too ashamed to show the rest of my craft room for now, as I had my Ikea delivery on Friday and there are various boxes lying around awaiting the dreaded 'putting together'.  Book shelves (as I ran out of room on the shelves on the landing outside the room) and another Raskog trolley.  I will be taking photos and making a video next week.

Happy WOYWW to whoever I do not manage to visit.

Ali x

14 comments:

  1. Super stitched journals. BJ#9

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali, I said to someone else earlier, I seem to remember as a child that summers were long and hot- not sure if they really were, or if it's just memory playing tricks. We have had some very wet years of late, I agree, even winters have been wet, rather than particularly cold. The pieces you've done look great, by the way. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #7 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so much fun making your own books and journals! Love those binding threads. Will look them up on Etsy! Would love to see your book it its finished state! Enjoy your week! zsuzsa #21

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super journals and I love your new delivery of threads. To me it feels like there isn't an exact time anymore when one season ends and another starts. It's all become blurred and things are happening at times that they didn't used to. Thanks for sharing. Take care Zo xx 25

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good looking desk and interesting delivery too

    Happy WOYWW

    Kathyk
    #11

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was amazed to hear on the news that July was remarkably dry! I always thought August was long and hot, but it's not proving itself yet! Gathering straw is a sure sign though, I must say..I walked to a friends house yesterday and was quite surprised by the number of eaves on the ground from the Lime trees..
    You are really getting into making the books - stitching is a big art if you ask me, specially with such lovely threads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving your books.. don't envy you the putting together task you are putting off!! Helen #4

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done, Ali. Those journals look great. So colourful there on your desk.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #17

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh wow you received some real goodies through the post! have fun! Lea #43

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the journal you've made so far. You must never hold back on showing us your desk and work area no matter what it looks like Lol! We want to see all the good bits and the bad bits! that's what makes life more interesting. I hope we get to see some of the fun bits when you start putting everything together. Thanks for the lovely comment over at mine and happy woyww,
    Angela x 12

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely set of journals you are making - and I am so looking forward to the video of your space next week. Thank you for popping by earlier today and for the lovely comment you left me. Scrapbook Lynne WOYWW#2

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous journals. Can't wait to see your workspace video. Have a terrific week. LisaDV #23

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely interesting journals on your desk, can we see them as you begin to fill them please?
    As for comments about this summer - what summer is my query?
    Hugs & Thanks for the visit to mine - Neet 1 xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x