Wednesday, 27 July 2016

WOYWW 373 - stencilling just about to begin

Not only is this another Wednesday, but it is also the end of another month.  I promised myself that I would start my Xmas cards in July, so had better get a move on!  I was going to join in with the 'Christmas in July' events on Monday 25th - but ended up having very little time to craft.

If you would like to join in with this weekly tour around global craft workspaces, go to Julia's Stamping Ground.

Today I am proud to say that the other table in my craft room is now dedicated to 'messy' crafting.  I can clear it if I want to use it for Tarot readings or cutting out fabric, but it seems to be used most days for paint/ink etc.  I have ordered another Raskog trolley from Ikea (and a bookcase/bins/other storage fell into my online basket too!), which is all due to arrive on Friday, so then I can organise all of my tools/supplies etc into an area close to the table.  I love storage and organisation, so will be very happy getting it all sorted.  I will share photos and a possible video next week.  

On my crafty table today is -

  • my craft mat (I found a video on YouTube recommending the use of cheap oven liners instead of buying the usual fairly expensive craft mats - and found large rolls of such material in Aldi this week - will test that out and report back), 
  • my journal covers waiting for the next stage in the process of finishing them (stencilling using 3 or 4 designs) - so far they have had several layers of different paint applied with my fingers,
  • my new favourite paint (a fabulous bronze),
  • my 'practice journal' which I am using when I join in with the live crafting events online (heard about one that is every Thursday evening, so planning to join them tomorrow).  You can see my very first attempt at a page.  The only issue with this journal is that it is made up of very thick kraft-type paper/card, which does not like ink sprays (everything just merges into a blob), so bit more restricted on which techniques I can try.
  • baby wipes (I am getting through a lot of them keeping my work area and me tidy),
  • some new stencils which I am excited to try.
craft room ready for mixed media, art journelling, stencilling, metallic paint, bronze

Well, I had better get this published and listed, and then I can decide which paint I am going to use with the stencils.  I would appreciate any recommendations for paints/other materials and tools that you find really work for use with stencils.  Comment below or email me at ali@tarotfarm.co.uk.

Happy WOYWW to all that I do not manage to visit this week.

Ali x

11 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having inky fun. I know a lot of crafters who journal etc use Fresco paints from PaperArtsy. I've not tried them yet but Helen Stamping by H uses them a lot! Take care Zo xx 27

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali, I too buy cheap ovenproof mats for this job, I found them in Poundland's kitchen section. Another useful thing for cleaning stamps, rather than an expensive 'craft scrubbie', is a paint pad, also from Poundland. Have a great week, Hugs Shaz #24 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that stencil! I've got something very similar - these texture stencils are so versatile! I didn't know you can order online from Ikea. Must try it once as I hate the crowds there. People tend to use it as a family day-out attraction and it can get very congested in and around the stores. Enjoy your week! zsuzsa #28

    ReplyDelete
  4. have fun testing your new stencil.Happy WOYWW Vicky #15

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE stencils!!! Can't get enough. If you get Ustream there are a lot of craft things. Mixed Media Monday with Tracy Weinsapfal, The Journal Artista on Friday. Patti Parrish on Sunday, Barb Owen with Drama Free Friday to name a few. Keep up the journaling. Peg R #8

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like getting organised as well. Don't like IKEA in the school holidays - far too many people. Great tip re the oven liners , must try. Have fun with the stencils. Anne x #16

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stencils are a god send, love them. Hope you have fun with yours. Another mention of Christmas cards, must get mine started too. Wishing you a happy woyww, Angela 14

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting post, Ali. I've got an ancient non-slip craft sheet which is looking pretty much the worse for wear these days and the corners kept getting turned up and catching on my sleeves, so it's now taped to the work surface with masking tape! It does the job so who cares what it looks like lol! As for stencils, I have quite a few now, and am in the process of designing and making some more (from polywallets, cut on my Cougar cutting machine). You can put pretty much anything through them - paint, spray inks, embossing ink, glue for glitter and other stuff, gesso (works as a great resist), Polyfilla (Shoshi's cheapskate version of expensive moulding pastes!) - any texture paste or mediums can be applied with a pallete knife. One of my favourite techniques is reverse stencilling. This is where you put paint on your surface and then lay the stencil on top, and remove the paint through the stencil (you may need a baby wipe for this). This is like turning your stencil into a mask. The next technique I am keen to try is with my new 3D transparent gel medium and Infusions paints. The possibilities with stencils are endless. I haven't tried it yet but people use them with gelli plates, too. One day, one day... So many things to try!!

    Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog. My shoulder is very much better now but I'm still going for my physio appt. on Fri. because I am sure they will have some useful advice and exercises for me. Years ago I got arm problems from overusing a computer mouse, but these days I use a trackball mouse which sits on the settee beside me as I work on the laptop so there's no strain on my arm. The frozen shoulder is on the other side, anyway (more common in the non-dominant arm - the one thing in this sorry adventure that I was glad about!!). So glad you enjoyed my garden photos. Phoebe loves the compost heap as it's so soft and warm to lie on!!

    Happy WOYWW,
    Shoshi #21

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the tour of your desk. Your journals are off to a great start. donna #40

    ReplyDelete
  10. For messy work, you sure are neat!!! Even in my neat work I can't be that clean. lol. I'd use your new favorite bronze paint with your new stencils. Blessings, LisaDV #35

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ali. That bronze is gorgeous. I can see why it's your new fav! Thanks for stopping by my blog this week. I love my ScrapRack. Great for Got A Little as well as Got A Lotta folks. Come visit me in MO and I'll give you the tour ;-) Have fun with your new IKEA order. I know all about that stuff falling into the cart thing. Creative Blessings! Kelly #36

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x