Wednesday, 20 July 2016

WOYWW 372 - making journals

Morning everyone.  I was so excited when I went over to Julia's Stamping Ground to see what number I needed to put in the title and saw that WOYWW (What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday for those who are not already addicts) is back home!

I am doubly glad that I am forcing the time out of my day to sit down and get this typed up.

I have been saying for years that I would love to do some art journals - and even make my own - and I have finally started.  I saw a competition to win a scholarship to a 3 month course (it runs all year, but is split into quarters and the prize was for July-September) and entered - and won!

I have started this week - there are lots of videos to watch, plus a Google+ community.  So far I have got 4 pieces of card gesso'd (is that a word?) on both sides - 2 coats - and just starting to decide on the colours I will be using for the journal covers.  The theme is 'Silence and Sanctuary', and I always fall back to my love of woodland when I think of this - so have selected 4 different greens from my fab new tin of Derwent Inktense blocks (never worked with these before and loving them already).

My photo shows my little scribbles seeing how to merge the colours together.

First day of using Derwent Inktense blocks with my Art Journalling course


I will, of course, be blogging regularly to show my progress.

Here is the link to the website for the courses - The Journey Within - there is a Mini course that was originally held in December as a taster - and I purchased that before I knew that I had won the competition.  Seems like a good way to see if it is for you.  She also has regular free craft-alongs through Artsy - THE NEXT ONE IS TOMORROW!!  (Sorry for shouting, but didn't want anyone to miss out that would like to try it out - they are recorded if you are unable to attend live.)

Enough links for this week.  I must get back to these journal covers.

I hope that everyone is well and happy - and for those in the UK that you enjoyed our 2 days of mini heatwave (it is cooler and cloudy in Pembrokeshire today).  I managed to get sunburnt on one shoulder, one ear and cleavage (changed into a different dress and forgot to reapply suncream, and tied my hair back in the afternoon)!  I am almost glad that we are back to normal weather, as now I can be in my craft room and not feel that I should be out in the sun.

I will do some blog reading later today - and I thank you all in advance for your lovely comments.

Ali x

19 comments:

  1. Ooooo Those inktense blocks looks good, have fun with your journal thanks for visiting and offering some moral support in the female department BJ#10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali, I too keep saying I want to do some art journalling. I have bought journals, gesso, mediums, stencils, I just need to actually get around to it! Will be checking back to see how yours is going. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #3

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best with the course. Congrats on winning!
    Take care.
    Margaret #5

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing what you do with those. Journaling is something I'm wanting to try too. Elaine No. 15

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to have to follow your link. Love the look of those Inktense blocks, have toyed with the idea of buying some myself but never have done. That is up to now.
    Enjoy playing with the colour and enjoy journalling, it is so addictive.
    Hugs, Neet 2 xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Ali! Congrats on winning the course. I hope you are able to participate more in depth than I have in the ones I've won. I still have all the material, just were not enough hours in the day. thanks for shouting. I'll take a peek though I doubt I'll be able to play this time 'round. Creative Blessings! Kelly #38

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ali, Well done on winning the course.

    We are still melting in temps around 32 here in NJorfolk.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Happy WOYWW
    Sue #6

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, congratulations! Fancy winning something you really want. That is so good! I had not heard of the inktense blocks, but if they are watercolours, it seems a great way to apply colour. Enjoy the course.
    Have a great week,
    Lisca#25

    ReplyDelete
  9. enjoy your journalling course - well done on winning! thanks for stopping by already. Helen #4

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Ali with the scholarship, it is nice when something you dream of is coming true :D - I will be back on and off to see your progress.

    Kind regards
    Mariane #41

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the win. I hope you have a lot of fun with the course. Sounds like you will!

    Happy WOYWW
    Sharon K #37

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's not nice to expose me to something new - that's great for coloring, as now I am going to want them - that look beautiful the color blocks! have a blessed day donna #41

    ReplyDelete
  13. well done on the win, i look forward to seeing what you create! I love my inktense blocks too! Lea #50

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you are accomplishing something on your to do list. I don't know about you, but my list just grows and grows.
    April #29

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on the win and well done even more for getting to it and getting on, it will bed very fulfilling, am perfectly sure. Glad too that you're up to it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Inktense blocks on your desk this week, best of luck with your journal

    Belated Happy WOYWW to you too

    Kathyk
    #14

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a great prize to win - I really hope you enjoy the course! Fancy you coming from Chipping Norton, I know it well, lovely little town. I didn't even think to look for that brooch in the gift shop...doh.....!
    Hugs, LLJ 11 xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done at winning the course, looking forward to seeing how you progress. It's still warm here in Lincoln but not quite as uncomfortable as it was which I am happy about. I will be interested to see how you get on with the Inktense blocks as I have some but haven't really got round to using them. Thanks for the visit to mine and happy belated woyww, Angela x 19

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome sauce winning that course. I actually got a notice about joining but kinda low on cash right now. I love my Inktense pencils and blocks and love the way they react to water and still keep the same color. I used to think Tim Holtz/Ranger was best but there are a lot of good mixed media products out there now. I haven't been feeling so well and not doing too much with crafting or anything for that matter. Pain and falling seem to be a big issues right now. I have a doctors appointment next month and I am going to demand to be tested for MS. I read an article that a lot of people are miss diagnosed as Fibro/ME because they don't do the right tests so I copied the article and I am taking it in. I don't do well in hot weather and that is one of the differentiating symptoms for diagnosis. Nothing showed up on blood work or MRI 5 years ago but something is going on again. Thanks for visiting my desk earlier and I hope you get to feeling better soon. vickie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x