Wednesday, 30 March 2016

WOYWW 356 - designing a card digitally

WOYWW is What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday - expertly organised by Julia at her blog, Stamping Ground, for several years now.  Go over there and have a nose around lots of fabulous crafty blogs.  Join in too.  We are a friendly bunch!

I am attempting to get more organised and use Tuesday as a block day for writing blog posts - this should help productivity, but I have already been distracted by an email from a client this morning and then my brain took over.  I found myself reading a blog about designing your own Tarot/Oracle cards and then I made the decision to re-start my Reiki training.  Yes, definitely very random!

I then realised I needed some actual crafting to be happening, or I would not have anything to write about, except for my general rambling which I can do for a long time.

I have lots of cards to make for April, so started up my Serif CraftArtist 2 Professional software and got a card designed for a friend very quickly.  I love this software - and after many years of digital crafting I have built up a huge collection of digikits.  I truly can make anything for any occasion.

If you are not aware of how fantastic Serif software is (I think I have the full collection), go to www.serif.com and download the free version of CraftArtist to give it a go.  It is marketed for scrapbooking, but can be used for absolutely anything.  I make a lot of my cards with it, stationery, signs for the farm business etc, etc, etc.

You can do simple designs or really get creative and do incredible digital art.  Just the photo editing element within it is worth the purchase price alone.  No need to spend a lot of money on Photoshop!

Here is my screenshot of the birthday card I literally spent 2 minutes on.  It will be printed off on good quality card and there you go - a unique card.  I have also designed the insert and back of the card, and it prints double-sided on one A4 sheet, ready to be trimmed and scored.


I will be blogging again about Serif and, if you have any questions, leave a comment below or email me at teddybob@live.co.uk.

Happy WOYWW to all those that I do not manage to visit.

Ali x

15 comments:

  1. Look like your making a lovely card . Jill #6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning, Ali, I love my Craft Artist, but struggle with trying to get it to do what I think it should, so rarely make complete cards, but yours is fab. Where did the motorcycle come from?
    Thanks for sharing
    Chris #19

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful card!
    MiSchra #23

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo I couldn't do that - I guess you print them out or do you send digitally too?
    have a great week. soojay 22

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up about Serif, I'm going to take a look as my old version of Corel is creaking at the seams. How interesting to design your own tarot set, that would be w great opportunity to add meaning to each card. I have the Robin Wood set which I love!
    Hugs, LLJ 12 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's very helpful..thank you..I may just try it out! Elaine #19

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Ali. Serif products are great. Hubby uses craft artist as his hands don't allow him to do the fiddly bits of manual crafting. I use the serif programme webplus for the website and Pageplus for just about everything else - never use Microsoft word s I find things move around the page!!
    Take care.
    Margaret #21

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ali, very useful bit of software, I can see. Takes all the stress out of forgotten birthdays, lol. Have a great week,Hugs, Shaz #7xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. just bookmarked the serif site, will have a look into this, thx for the tip.Happy WOYWW, Vicky #8

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sound a lot like me, jumping from project to project. Good thing about digital is that it doesn't make a mess, though it's no less time consuming. Do show us your Tarot cards when ready! Happy WOYWW! zsuzsa #26

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice card! I'm another one who jumps from project to project. I tend to get sidetracked. We can just blame it on being creative!

    Sharon K #42

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like fun will have to check it out I'm always game to try a new program when it's free even better
    Your making your own set of tatot cards that sounds so interesting would love a peak at those when done are your basing them on a deck out there all ready ?
    Hugs Nikki 2

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool software. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
    Have a great day.
    Diane - WOYWW #34

    ReplyDelete
  14. For the longest time I really felt that digital crafting was "cheating." Anyone can make a card on the computer I thought, but no it really takes some thought and talent. I see the light now. Lacking a printer I doubt I'll ever get into it but I can admire what others make. This is a great looking card. PJ #54

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love my craft artis pro 2. I too have many digi kits. I always like to design embellishments for my planners and smash books. Ideal when you want pretty things without the bulk. As you say quick and easy. Take care. Zo xx 41

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x