Friday, 20 February 2015

My new purple friend

I have a new friend who spends nearly 24 hours a day with me.  This new friend is my purple Garmin vivofit wristband, which Rich bought me for Xmas.  I had been interested to have one, so that I could see exactly how active I am during the day and also track my sleep patterns.



There are plenty of general reviews about how comfortable it is, how easy it is to set up etc - but I will concentrate on the specific values to those with a chronic health condition.

It is very interesting to see how much deep sleep I have had each night - or how little deep sleep often in my case!  I can edit it in the morning to show my waking mood - and so far I have had the blue face (OK) for 83.3% of the nights and 16.7% for the red face (bad).  There are no green faces (great)!

As is normally the case with Fibromyalgia (if there is a normal ?!), there is no clear correlation (I did Statistics at O Level - back in 1987!) between how I sleep at night and my activity the day before, or how the next day is affected.  I have noticed that in the past week I seem to have gone back to my old habit of less sleep at night and waking early with increased pain (28.6% bad waking mood in the past week), and checking on my activity (which is the number of steps I take) I see that I am moving more.  I wonder whether this is because the days are getting longer - so I am spending more time outside on the yard and also walking the dogs.  

Week commencing 26th January - 81,903 steps.
2nd February - 84,972 steps.
9th February - 95,137 steps.
Already this week I have done over 70,000 steps.

Yes, I have Fibromyalgia - and I still move a lot!  With the ponies/donkey, dogs, big house and a generally active mind (that means I do not want to sit and watch Jeremy Kyle!), even with regular rests I am still  covering many miles each week (around 6 miles per day).

I complain all the time about winter and how it increases my pain/stiffness, but perhaps it is actually the time when I spend more time indoors and rest my body, and therefore I sleep better at night?  It is still winter, but the lighter evenings mean that I am enjoying being outside sorting out the animals and I will generally potter about finding jobs to do.  I don't always experience more pain/fatigue because of this, but it may affect my sleep patterns.

Who knows??!!



I will continue to monitor and assess whether there are any patterns.  However, my main aim is to get more and better quality sleep, so I will be turning off this laptop soon and getting to bed at a reasonable time.

If any of my readers have a wristband tracker-thingy, let me know how you are getting on with it - and whether you have seen any patterns between your activity and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x