Wednesday, 5 November 2014

WOYWW 283

Late again today, but got my mum staying for a few days - and the sun is shining for the first time in a while, so we took the dogs down to the beach.

For those who are wondering what WOYWW stands for (What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday) and would like to join in with this weekly tour around craft desks, take a jog over to Julia's http://stamping-ground.blogspot.co.uk/

My actual desk this week has nothing much on it.  The Xmas card production line has ground to a halt.  Therefore, I am showing the cushion I finally finished this week.  My first 'proper' project with my sewing machine.  I discovered Craftsy, which has so many wonderful classes.  I have signed up for a few - some of which are free.


You may think that it is just a simple square cushion - but it has French seams!!  Yes, I did not know what these were either!  I have learnt so many useful skills with this first project, and I am starting to work through the preparation work for the next project - a skirt (I hyperventilate at the thought).

I am sure that many of you will be off to the NEC this week.  I so wish that I could get there.  I look forward to seeing pictures of purchased stash next week.

Ali x

11 comments:

  1. Well, would you look at you and your sewing skills! Love that material, so cute and now I will have to go and investigate what French seams are... LOL Enjoy time with your Mum, the cards will wait a bit longer!! Annette #18

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier on.
    Well done you! (no, I don't know about French seams either) The cushion is lovely. I'll check out that site.
    I wish I could go to the NEC too but I live too far....
    Thank you for letting me look over your shoulder.
    Have a good week.
    Lisca#28

    ReplyDelete
  3. French seams are a really fab skill to have in your pin cushion...well done you! I have an archive of a couple craftsy classes, not quite made time for them. Ahem. I'm not off to the NEC either, to be honest, I can't face it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always impressed by sewing projects, am very needle-challenged! Your cushion is gorgeous. Helen 3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Ali, I'm belatedly returning your visit from *last* week (haven't linked up this week so far). Hope you have a wonderful visit with your Mom. The pillow is great -- what adorable fabric. ~ Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get you, French Seams!! (I think I can just about remember what they were!!) Great cushion, love that fabric! Everyone is either making Christmas cards or has had enough already. I still have a few to do but too much other stuff on at the mo. I am envious of the NEC as well, although heaven knows I don't need anything. Thanks for your earlier visdit and the peek at your crafty desk this week, Cindy #38

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the material you used to make the pillow. So cute. I went and joined Craftsy. Thanks for sharing. April #73

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crikey! That takes me back to the dim and distant past - I made a dress for myself in the 70s and i had french seams! What a palaver but totally required for fabric that frays. another Craftsy fan - they have sales so often I usually have a list of classes I want to take and just wait for the email that says 50% off :) ... well worth it.

    Oh and PS no word verification but virtually every blogger blog has the number verification as a next step - yours does too :) Not a big deal for me, I don't mind the small extra step and at least I can SEE what the numbers are on the first go 99% of the time LOL


    Happy WOYWW!
    Mary Anne (1)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'd never know this was your first sewing project - it's lovely! Beautiful fabric. Great that you've had some special time with Mum. Enjoy! Chris # 7

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's are really cute cushion. Thanks for stopping by. #8

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW awesome cushion/pillow Ali! I will have to check out Craftsy and see what I can do! Have a great week. Vickie #68

    ReplyDelete

Thank you lots and lots for your fab comments. I read and treasure them all. Ali x